The new Porsche Panamera S E-Hybrid, the world’s first plug-in hybrid for the executive saloon class, has gained OLEV (Office for Low Emission Vehicles) Grant approval.
Only a select handful of cars qualify for the Government-backed scheme, which entitles customers of qualifying ULEV (Ultra-Low Emission Vehicles) models to a 25% grant towards the cost of the car, up to a maximum of £5,000.
Running since January 2011, the grant is designed to encourage vehicle manufacturers to develop electric and green technologies for market, and to help customers invest in ‘green’ automotive technologies.
Utilising a 3.0-litre V6 engine teamed with a newly-developed lithium-ion battery and electric motor, the Panamera S E-Hybrid is a four-door, four-seat sports car that is first and foremost a Porsche. That means that performance, power and driver-focussed dynamics are an intrinsic part of the newcomer’s character, yet its official economy and CO2 figures stand at just 91 mpg and 71 g/km respectively.
The S E-Hybrid is capable of running purely on electric power for emission-free driving and zero petrol consumption for up to 22 miles (subject to driving style and conditions) and can reach speeds of up to 84 mph in this mode.
Those ultra-low emissions ensure the Panamera S E-Hybrid qualifies for a number of other fiscal benefits and capital allowance benefits for business customers. These include:
- Company car tax liability of only 5% (paid as a ‘Benefit in Kind’ based on the P11D value of the vehicle)
- Exemption from Vehicle Excise Duty, thanks to its official emissions placing it in ‘Band A’
- Exemption from First Registration Fee (first tax disc)
- Exemption from the TfL (Transport for London) Congestion Charge (following an initial registration fee to qualify)
- 100% first-year allowance (FYA) – any vehicle with an official CO2 figure of less than 95 g/km is eligible for 100% of first-year capital allowance under Government rules extended to 31 March 2015
New Panamera S E-Hybrid: UK price and powertrain overview
|S E-Hybrid Tiptronic||416 @ 5,500||590 @ 1,250||5.5||167||91.1||71||88,967|